MTV ASIA TO AIR MUSIC DOCUMENTARY G.E.M.: <G-FORCE> FOR THE FIRST TIME
G.E.M.: <G-FORCE> PREMIERES ON MTV ASIA ON 3 DECEMBER (PART ONE) AND 10 DECEMBER (PART TWO)
Click here to watch the trailer of G.E.M.: <G-FORCE>
Singapore / Malaysia / Indonesia – 29 November, 2017 – This December, get ready to sparkle with Asian pop sensation, Deng Zi Qi, best known as G.E.M. MTV Asia will be airing the music documentary G.E.M.: <G-FORCE> for the first time. <G-FORCE> tells the story of how G.E.M., an ordinary teenage girl from Hong Kong, became the biggest female singer in China overnight. Through her devotion to music and jaw-dropping talent, G.E.M’s success has inspired many in her generation.
Catch how the superstar skyrocketed to fame in the premiere of G.E.M.: <G-FORCE> (Part One) on MTV Asia on 3 December, Sunday at 8.30pm (WIB), 9.30pm (SG) and 10.30pm (MY). Part Two of the documentary will premiere on MTV Asia on 10 December, Sunday at 8.30pm (WIB), 9.30pm (SG) and 10.30pm (MY).
Award-winning director Nick Wickham takes you through this 90-minute music journey to witness the rise of the Asian powerhouse. Along with G.E.M.'s spectacular performances, the director also shines a spotlight on her untold stories, and the sacrifices she has to make for staying true to herself in endless uphill battles. A one in a billion story of inspiring adventure, involuntary conflicts, and unshakable devotion, <G-FORCE> is a must-see for all dreamers.
Using her unique stage moniker, G.E.M. symbolizes her dream of inspiring people through her voice and music. As a pop artist, G.E.M.’s music has a wide spectrum of influences from Soul and R&B, to Classical and Rock. She also brought her “QUEEN OF HEARTS” World Tour to Singapore in August 2017, which drew a highly enthusiastic crowd.
Gems about G.E.M.:
- Deng Zi Qi’s stage moniker, G.E.M., is an abbreviation for Get Everybody Moving, which is also the name of her self-titled EP album released in 2008. Her popularity soared after she participated in the Mainland China reality TV program in 2014, ‘I Am A Singer’, and emerged runner-up.
- She grew up in a musical family and learnt how to sing from her grandmother, who was a vocal coach. Her grandfather was a saxophonist and her uncle was a violinist.
- In 2014, G.E.M. bagged the Favorite Asian Act in the 27th Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards, edging out other star-studded artists from the region such as Coboy Junior (Indonesia), Lisa Surihani (Malaysia) and Anne Curtis (Philippines).
- She is nicknamed “The Chinese Taylor Swift” as she was the only Asian musician to land on Forbes ‘30 Under 30 list’ in 2016, following an 11th placing on Forbes’ ‘China Celebrity 100 list’ in 2015.
- In 2015, she sold out her first three-night concert in Singapore at the MAX Pavilion, before returning to rock the Singapore Indoor Stadium for the first time this year. The overwhelming response made the Hong Kong singer the first Asian female artist to perform three nights in a row in Singapore!
- In 2016, G.E.M. received the highest number of votes to earn the accolade for Best Mainland China and Hong Kong Act in the MTV EMAs held at Rotterdam, Netherlands. The category included other artists such as Khalil Fong, Momo, Pu Shu and Vision Wei.
- In 2017, G.E.M. was the MTV Asia Spotlight artist for January. Get to know the talented singer in her interview here.
- G.E.M. is a Global Ambassador for Mending Kids, where she lends her voice to encourage contribution towards the medical expenses of ill orphaned children.
- G.E.M. played 73 shows in her X.X.X. Live World Concert in support of her third studio album, Xpose. The tour kicked off in Hong Kong in April 2013 and concluded in 2015 in London.
MTV is the world’s biggest youth entertainment brand. With a global reach of nearly 785 million households, MTV is the cultural home of the millennial generation, music fans and artists, and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects and creates pop culture with its award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, online and mobile. Outside of the United States, MTV is part of Viacom International Media Networks, a division of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), one of the world’s leading creators of programming and content across all platforms. For more information about MTV in Asia, visit www.mtvasia.com.
Sheila Lim Management Associate, Communications, Viacom International Media Networks Asia t: (65) 6420 7121 m: (65) 9763 1176 e: email@example.com
Download PDFDownload PDF
About VIMN Asia Press
Viacom International Media Networks (VIMN), a unit of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), is comprised of many of the world’s most popular multimedia entertainment brands, including MTV, MTV LIVE HD, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., Comedy Central, Paramount Channel, and more. Viacom brands reach more than 3.4 billion cumulative subscribers in 180+ countries and territories via more than 200 locally programmed and operated TV channels and more than 550 digital media and mobile TV properties, in 40 languages. Keep up with VIMN news by visiting the VIMN PR Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/VIMN_PR. For more information about Viacom and its businesses, visit www.viacom.com, blog.viacom.com and the Viacom Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/Viacom.