MTV ASIA TO AIR EXCLUSIVE BEBE REXHA DOCUMENTARY
THE RIDE: BEBE REXHA PREMIERES ON MTV ON 22 MAY
15 MAY 2017, SINGAPORE
SummaryChart topping singer-songwriter and recent “MTV EMAs” host Bebe Rexha is a multi-platinum singer and mega hit songwriter of numerous smashes including “The Monster,” “I Got You” and “Me, Myself & I.” But her path to stardom wasn’t an easy one. The Ride explores the moments that changed Bebe’s life, defined her career, and made her the unique solo power artist she is today.
Click here to download a sneak preview of The Ride: Bebe Rexha
Chart topping singer-songwriter and recent “MTV EMAs” host Bebe Rexha is a multi-platinum singer and mega hit songwriter of numerous smashes including “The Monster,” “I Got You” and “Me, Myself & I.” But her path to stardom wasn’t an easy one—filled with countless hours of songwriting (she’s penned huge hits for artists including Eminem, Selena Gomez and Pitbull), collaborating with artists as a featured singer, soul searching, and navigating through the turbulence of the music industry on the journey that catapulted her to solo stardom. The Ride explores the moments that changed Bebe’s life, defined her career, and made her the unique solo power artist she is today. The Ride: Bebe Rexha premieres on MTV Asia on 22 May 8pm (SG/PHI), 9pm (MY). The show can also be viewed online from 23 May, 12pm onwards.
In the lead-up to the premiere, tune in to watch Bebe Rexha on MTV Hits on 18 May 3pm (SG), 19 May 6pm (SG) and 21 May 9.30pm (SG) and on MTV Music Evolution on 20 May 6.30pm (SG) and 21 May 2pm (SG).
Some things you didn’t know about Bebe Rexha:
- Bebe’s full first name is Bleta, which in Albanian means “bumble bee.” Her mom recalled, “When Bebe was born, she was the cutest little thing with big eyes, and my husband said she's as sweet as honey.”
- She played trumpet in her grade school band, an instrument she went on to practice for eight years. Bebe had originally wanted to play flute – but by the time the class musical instructor called her name (by surname order, Rexha) on instrument selection day, all the flutes were already distributed to other students.
- Bebe met Fall Out Boy bassist Pete Wentz while in college, when Pete and producer Sam Hollander overheard her recording demos at their studio. The moment led to the signing of her first record deal with Pete’s experimental band, Black Cards.On the day she received the call to join the group, Bebe was in Italian class and she recalled: “I literally just left and never went back to college.The funny thing is, I passed every class that semester except music.”
- When the Black Cards disbanded in 2012, the band publicly announced that Bebe decided to pursue a solo career – while the bigger truth was that Pete Wentz no longer wanted Bebe in the group. Despite the fallout, Bebe and Pete remain friends.
- When Bebe hosted the 2016 MTV EMAs live from Rotterdam, she revealed that she actually started tearing up onstage during her live TV entrance, when she was lowered from the top of the arena on a swing to officially welcome fans and audience members to the show.
MTV’s The Ride follows today’s hottest artists as they reveal the most game-changing moments that transformed their lives, culminating in the #1 most important moment that changed everything. There’s nothing more powerful than an artist speaking their truth. The Ride lets today’s most talented performers tell their story – like no one’s ever heard before.
The Ride: Bebe Rexha is produced for MTV by Creature Films; executive producers are Mark Ford and Kevin Lopez for Creature Films and Bruce Gillmer and Jennifer Demme Harris for MTV International.
MTV is the world’s biggest youth entertainment brand. With a global reach of nearly 785 million households, MTV is the cultural home of the millennial generation, music fans and artists, and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects and creates pop culture with its award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, online and mobile. Outside of the United States, MTV is part of Viacom International Media Networks, a division of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), one of the world’s leading creators of programming and content across all platforms. For more information about MTV in Asia, visit www.mtvasia.com.
Download PDFDownload PDF
About VIMN Asia Press
Viacom International Media Networks (VIMN), a unit of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), is comprised of many of the world’s most popular multimedia entertainment brands, including MTV, MTV LIVE HD, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., Comedy Central, Paramount Channel, and more. Viacom brands reach more than 3.4 billion cumulative subscribers in 180+ countries and territories via more than 200 locally programmed and operated TV channels and more than 550 digital media and mobile TV properties, in 40 languages. Keep up with VIMN news by visiting the VIMN PR Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/VIMN_PR. For more information about Viacom and its businesses, visit www.viacom.com, blog.viacom.com and the Viacom Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/Viacom.