2016 MTV EMAS ROCK ROTTERDAM WITH A STUNNING NIGHT OF GLOBAL MUSIC
Global Icon honourees Green Day close show with powerful performance of “American Idiot” days ahead of U.S. Election
Justin Bieber leads the night winning 3 MTV EMAs
SINGAPORE, 7 NOVEMBER 2016 - Worlds collided in a spectacle of music and stunning visuals on the 2016 MTV EMAs stage, featuring epic performances that took over Rotterdam and aired globally on 7 November. Host Bebe Rexha kicked off the global music celebration as she crashed through the ceiling to start the party, followed by superstar Bruno Mars delivering the first big global performance of his smash single 24K Magic, literally lighting up the stage with his dance moves. The show repeats tonight on MTV at 8pm (WIB) and 9pm (MY/PH/SG), and on MTV LIVE HD at 8.45pm (WIB) and 9.45pm (HK/MY/PH/SG).
Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga were head to head with two wins each before the start of the red carpet, when Beliebers voted in force for Justin Bieber to win the title of Biggest Fans. With this nod added to his Best Song and Best Canadian Act wins, Justin Bieber took home three purple EMAs. MTV turned all the 2016 awards purple as a tribute to the iconic late artist Prince.
Global phenomenon Green Day also returned to the EMAs stage with a vengeance, honoured with the night’s prestigious milestone award, Global Icon. They had an explosive onstage performance of Bang Bang, and closed the show just days ahead of the U.S. election with American Idiot.
Additionally, MTV recognized artists from around the globe including Shawn Mendes (Canada), Zara Larsson (Sweden), Maluma (Columbia), Wizkid (Nigeria), GOT7 (Korea) and Troye Sivan (Australia) as the Worldwide Act winners. Đông Nhi is the Best Local Act for Southeast Asia.
“We want to thank MTV EMAs for giving us the Worldwide Act for 2016 and we're really sorry that we can't be there with you guys but thank you to all of our fans. It's really an honour and we're going to continue bringing you guys good music and we're going to work harder and harder. Thank you!” said GOT7.
View GOT7’s video message HERE.
See complete list of winners and key moments below:
FULL LIST OF 2016 MTV EMA WINNERS
Justin Bieber - Sorry
The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk - Starboy
Twenty One Pilots
Twenty One Pilots
BEST HIP HOP
BEST LOOK SPONSORED BY LISTERINE
BEST WORLD STAGE
Martin Garrix - Isle of MTV, Malta (2015)
GLOBAL ICON AWARD
BEST JAPAN ACT
ONE OK ROCK
BEST KOREA ACT
BEST MAINLAND CHINA & HONG KONG ACT
BEST SOUTHEAST ASIA ACT
Troye Sivan - Australia
Shawn Mendes – Canada
Maluma – Columbia
GOT7 – Korea
Wizkid - Nigeria Zara Larsson – Sweden
ADDITIONAL KEY MOMENTS
- Multiplatinum R&B stunner The Weeknd made his EMA stage debut with the first global performance of his smash single Starboy. The performance began in a wildly visual, star-filled dome, which opened to reveal the singer.
- Host Bebe Rexha slayed her hosting duties while bringing the live debut of her new single I’ve Got U to the EMAs stage, featuring an adorable faux-fur “U” creature whose eyes followed her every movement. Earlier in the show, she teamed up with friend and the world’s no. 1 DJ Martin Garrix for a stirring duet of In The Name of Love with a full string orchestra. She also donned 15 outfit changes throughout the show.
- Meanwhile, Kings of Leon rocked the EMA stage, the night after entertaining hundreds of fans at Rotterdam’s Old Luxor Theatre with a rare, exclusive, intimate World Stage concert
- Best Push winners DNCE brought the party by performing Cake By The Ocean and Body Moves on a floating platform over the audience, complete with crowd surfers on inflatable donuts, cakes and pizza.
- Best Male winner Shawn Mendes wowed the crowd as he emerged from a holographic pyramid, while playing piano for a moving rendition of his hit Mercy. He was also among the Worldwide Act winners.
- Best New and one of the Worldwide Act recipients, Zara Larsson, shook the arena with a fierce medley of her massive hits, Lush Life and Ain’t My Fault.
- Lukas Graham commanded the stage with a passionate medley of their hits against a glittering backdrop of stars, culminating in a full-on orchestra for their smash ballad 7 Years.
- OneRepublic wowed the audience by performing their new track Let’s Hurt Tonight as rain poured down from the stage, soaking the band while they serenaded fans.
- Hometown hero and EMA Music Week Ambassador Afrojack rocked the house with his smash hits Gone and Hey.
JUST IN ASIA
- Watch It Anyway You Want! x live.ly
MTV also teamed up with live.ly where musers get to show MTV how they watch the MTV EMA in their own creative way during the prime-time telecast on Monday, 7 November on MTV at 8pm (WIB) and 9pm (MY/PH/SG), and on MTV LIVE HD at 8.45pm (WIB) and 9.45pm (HK/MY/PH/SG). Fans can live-stream themselves enjoying the MTV EMA using the hashtag #MTVEMA and show MTV their biggest reactions. They stand a chance to win special MTV EMA prizes and #MTVEMA live-stream sessions will be featured on live.ly’s homepage during the night.
- MTV x foodpanda
From 7 to 13 November, fans in Singapore, Malaysia, and the Philippines are invited to catch the show while enjoying discounts on their foodpanda orders using the promo code MTVEMAPANDA. In Singapore, enjoy 15% off a minimum order value of S$30 for the first 1,000 redemptions. In selected regions in Malaysia, get 20% off a minimum order value of RM40. In Manila and Cebu, take 15% off a minimum order of P850, with a maximum discount of P300 per order. Visit www.mtvasia.com/mtvema for details.
- Live Twitter Chat
Fans in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, and Singapore can live tweet during the MTV EMA evening repeat telecast on MTV on Monday, 7 November at 8pm (WIB) and 9pm (MY/PH/SG) using #MTVEMA and watch selected tweets go on-air. Those with the best tweets stand a chance to snag Évos headphones and exclusive MTV EMA merchandise.
Additional encore telecasts of the 2016 MTV EMA on MTV are on:
- Tuesday, 8 November at 7.30am (WIB), 8.30am (HK/PH/SG), 9.30am (MY), 11pm (WIB)
- Wednesday, 9 November at 12am (HK/PH/SG), 1am (MY), 1pm (WIB), 2pm (HK/PH/SG), 3pm (MY)
- Thursday, 10 November at 4pm (WIB), 5pm (HK/PH/SG), 6pm (MY)
- Friday, 11 November at 9.30am (WIB), 10.30am (HK/PH/SG), 11.30am (MY)
- Saturday, 12 November at 1am (WIB), 2am (HK/PH/SG), 3am (MY), 9pm (WIB), 10pm (HK/PH/SG), 11pm (MY)
- Sunday, 13 November at 3pm (WIB), 4pm (HK/PH/SG), 5pm (MY)
The official international sponsor of the 2016 MTV EMAs is Évos.
Below are two time lapses from the evening.
Red Carpet time lapse: we.tl/OE8hfWVblL
Show time lapse: we.tl/SPA8kvDfM5
For artwork, press assets and further information please visit press.mtvema.com.
About the 2016 MTV EMAS
The 2016 MTV EMAs, in partnership with Évos headphones broadcast LIVE across the globe on MTV and MTV LIVE HD on Monday, 7 November at 3am (WIB) and 4am (MY/PH/SG)** from the Ahoy Rotterdam, in Rotterdam, Netherlands, with support from Rotterdam Festivals, Rotterdam Partners and the city of Rotterdam. The show repeats tonight on MTV at 8pm (WIB) and 9pm (MY/PH/SG), and on MTV LIVE HD at 8.45pm (WIB) and 9.45pm (HK/MY/PH/SG). One of the biggest global music events of the year that celebrates the hottest artists from around the world, the MTV EMAs bring music fans a unique, multi-platform experience across MTV’s global network of more than 60 channels and over 300 digital media properties and platforms. Follow @MTVEMA on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and join the conversation with #MTVEMA. Fans are invited to participate in the 2016 MTV EMA campaign using MTV Bump. Bruce Gillmer and Richard Godfrey are Executive Producers for the 2016 MTV EMAs. Debbie Phillips and Chloe Mason are Producers. For MTV EMA news, updates and press materials please visit press.mtvema.com.
**Check local listings.
Viacom International Media Networks
Loh Bi Feng, Manager, Communications, Southeast Asia
t: +65 6420 7154 m: +65 9002 9607
Adeline Ong, Senior Director, Corporate Communications, Asia
t: (65) 6420 7240 m: (65) 9366 7323
We want to thank MTV EMAs for giving us the Worldwide Act for 2016 and we're really sorry that we can't be there with you guys but thank you to all of our fans. It's really an honour and we're going to continue bringing you guys good music and we're going to work harder and harder. Thank you!
Download PDFDownload PDF
About VIMN Asia Press
Viacom International Media Networks (VIMN), a unit of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), is comprised of many of the world’s most popular multimedia entertainment brands, including MTV, MTV LIVE HD, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., Comedy Central, Paramount Channel, and more. Viacom brands reach more than 3.4 billion cumulative subscribers in 180+ countries and territories via more than 200 locally programmed and operated TV channels and more than 550 digital media and mobile TV properties, in 40 languages. Keep up with VIMN news by visiting the VIMN PR Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/VIMN_PR. For more information about Viacom and its businesses, visit www.viacom.com, blog.viacom.com and the Viacom Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/Viacom.